Med Culture has identified young professionals as a priority target group of the programme, hence the need to establish Houna aShabab to take part in Med Culture activities across the region . Members of this group will have the opportunity to meet and interact on areas of common interest, participate in training sessions specifically tailored to their needs, which should contribute to the development of their personal and/ or group initiatives.
The group will be created through an open selection process, giving the opportunity to all young people interested in this initiative to apply.
Deadline for submitting applications: 5 April, 2015
Houna aShabab is targeting:
- 18 cultural practitioners or practitioners to be from Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya Morocco, Palestine, Syria, and Tunisia
- 2 researchers working on cultural issues
- 2 cultural bloggers
Aged between 18 and 28 years at the time of application
Selected candidates will take part in Med Culture activities planned for 2015-2017
- Participation in the 1st regional Conference “Creativity and Culture for Development”, taking place in Casablanca from 27 to 29 April, 2015.
- Participation in the National Focus group meetings in their respective countries (one meeting per year)
- Participation in the capacity development activities addressing cultural management and policy issues, which will be defined with the contribution of Houna aShabab (about 3 workshops in total in different countries of the southern Mediterranean region)
What is expected from Houna aShabab? This call is an open invitation to young people to bring in their ideas, their imagination and make their voices heard. The elaboration of public policies and promotion of good practices require the participation of young practitioners, who are capable of challenging the status quo, and creating more favourable cultural environment at the social, economic and legislative levels. Houna aShabab is also expected to mobilise further young artists and cultural professionals in the region to participate and follow future opportunities that will be provided by Med Culture.
Selection process: candidates are selected based on their CV and a cover letter explaining their interest. The selection jury is composed of experts including one member of Med Culture team.
Selection criteria: candidates should be residents in one of the involved countries: Algeria, Egypt, Israel, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestine and Tunisia. Candidates with Syrian or Libyan nationality who come from the civil society sector and who reside in their country or elsewhere are also eligible.
Candidates should have a strong command of Arabic. Knowledge of French or English is a requirement. The call targets in priority cultural professionals, but also researchers and bloggers. In particular:
Cultural practitioners or practitioners to be, active in the independent sector:
- Civil society organisations, cultural organisations, art schools and departments, etc
- Play a leadership role within their community and be involved in cultural projects, both individual or group projects
- Be involved in projects that are remote from the artistic/cultural milieus of big cities
- Be able to explore and experiment with innovative approaches and modalities in the implementation of cultural projects
- Involving and targeting children, adolescents and youth
Public sector employees:
- Working at the Ministry of Culture or in cultural public institutions funded by the government in the capital or in the regions/ governorates
- Keen in the cultural and artistic scene
Researchers/academics working on cultural issues:
- Involved in research projects in the field of social sciences / economy of culture
- Who write about cultural topics, including creative industries (fashion, etc.)
Travel and accommodation expenses will be taken in charge by Med Culture.
How to apply?
- CV in French, English or Arabic (education, professional experience, volunteer experience,trainings, date of birth)
- Cover letter explaining your motivation for participating in Houna aShabab (why are interested to be part of it and what you aim to achieve or develop through this participation).
For further inquiries please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Results will be announced on 13 April, 2015. Selected candidates will be informed by e-mail.
About Med Culture:
Med Culture is a 4-year regional programme funded by the European Union to accompany partner countries in south of the Mediterranean in the development and improvement of cultural policies and practices related to the culture sector. The approach is consultative/participative and takes place in partnership with civil society actors, ministries, private and public institutions involved in culture as well as other related sectors.
Med Culture’s ultimate goal is to pave the way towards the development of institutional and social environments that will confirm culture as vector for freedom of expression and sustainable development.
More specifically to
1. Improve the governance of the culture sector including promotion of interministeriale cooperation, elaboration of national action plans for culture, and improving organisational structures in cooperation with peers across the region.
2. Strengthen mutual development of capacities among peers of civil society organisations (CSOs,) and public and private sectors.
3. Broaden the base by involving young generations, developing activities and audiences in peripheries, promoting cross sector collaborations and collaborations among cultural practitioners across the region.
4. Promote sharing and access to information of available resources online and
best practices through Med Culture’s website.